This wonderful desert is compliments of Kierra Spencer, Houston’s Assistant After School Coordinator which has been passed down by her MawMaw, Helen Robinson.
Being from New Orleans, food has always been the staple in our family. That’s what brought family members together every other week for Sunday dinner and especially during the Holiday Seasons. My grandma’s 7-up cake is always a top hit at all the family gathering. Now that my grandma and I live in 2 different states, every time she comes into town I always request that she makes one before she leaves. The 7-up cake is the first thing we want a slice of. Just know when my grandma only makes 1 cake that usually always leads to a scramble over the last slice.
Prep Time: 15 mins, Cook Time: 1 hour , Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins, Servings: 12 Servings
- 3 sticks of butter
- 3 cups of Sugar
- 1 32 oz box of Swans Down Cake Flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract
- 3 cups of flour
- 1-2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of 7up
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.Grease your Bundt Pan with Baker’s Joy. While the oven is preheating, mix the butter and sugar until it’s nice and fluffy. Once content with the mixture you will gradually add 1 egg at a time and mix with every addition.
- Add the 3 cups of cake flour, 1/2 cup of 7-up, and 1 tablespoon of lemon extract to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the Bundt Pan evenly, do not fill to the top of the pan, so that it has room to rise. Let the cake bake for an hour. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 15 mins.
- Once, the cake is cool you should flip the pan on a cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar, lemon extract, and 7-up to form a glaze. Once you’ve your desired consistency with the glaze you will drizzle it over the cake.
Now let’s enjoy MawMaw Helen’s Famous 7-Up Cake!
Leave a Comment